“I’m tired of getting calls from spammers and telemarketers all day long! Can someone tell me how to block spam calls on my Samsung for free?”
Did you know that the frequency of spam calls has increased by 18% this year and over 30 billion spam calls are made annually? On average, an individual gets at least 2-3 spam calls a day that can even spike to up to 10 or more calls. If you also find it distracting, then you should use the best call blocker app on your smartphone. While the spam call frequency has increased, there are also some reliable spam call blocker apps that can protect your privacy. In this post, I’m going to teach you how to block spam calls using the 5 best options for Android and iOS.
Part 1: What are the Major Call Blocker Apps Used for?
As the name suggests, a spam call blocker app would automatically detect calls from spammer and telemarketers. To do this, your device has to be connected to the internet so that the app would look up for the number on a real-time basis. Some apps would just notify you that it is a spam call while some would disconnect the call on their own.
Majorly, these apps could block unwanted calls for your peace of mind. Apart from that, some of these apps can also block text messages from marketers and would even let you search an unknown number for its registered user.
Part 2: The 5 Best Call Blocker Apps for Android and iOS
If you want to protect your privacy, then pick the best call blocker app from these 5 popular options.
Truecaller: Caller ID, Spam Call and Text Blocker
When we talk about the best robocall blocker, Truecaller is the first name that comes to everyone’s mind. The basic version of the call protect app is available for free, but you can always upgrade to get its premium features. Apart from blocking unwanted calls, you can also chat with your contacts or look for any unknown number.
- The app will automatically identify unknown callers and will mark telemarketing calls as a spam so that you can easily avoid them.
- Even if the caller is not saved on your contact list, it will display their name on the screen.
- Truecaller has a vast and ever-growing database, making it one of the best robocall blockers.
- Apart from that, you can also chat with your contacts via its in-built feature or even search for any number to view its registered owner.
- Intuitive and easy to use with automatic blocking features
- Smart messaging tool with an advanced dialer
- Available in different languages
- It is not a lightweight app and can make your device slower
Price: Free | $2.99 monthly for premium
Compatibility: iOS 11+ | Android 5+
It is a decent app to block unwanted calls, but it only works when I’m connected to the net.
I have been using Truecaller for years now and it is a must-have application for every user who is tired of getting spam call.
Download on Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truecaller
Download on iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/truecaller/id448142450
Should I Answer: Call Blocker and Number Look-up
This best Android or iOS call blocker will help you answer the million-dollar question – Should I answer this call or not? To do this, it maintains an extensive database that it keeps on expanding (with 30 thousand new numbers added daily). There are plenty of features in the app to protect you from unwanted calls and create your own blacklist.
- The app works on a point-based system and will display the rating for unknown numbers.
- Users can create their own blacklist and whitelist on the app to block any contact.
- There are three different levels of privacy that users can pick from.
- You can also search for unknown numbers on its interface.
- Vast and expanding database
- Inbuilt call blocking features
- A bit complicated to use (with different levels to opt)
Price: Free | $1.99 a month (premium version)
Compatibility: iOS 10+ | Android 6.0+
It claims that the app is the best Android call blocker out there so I thought of trying it. I can say it is pretty decent and it met my requirements.
I have been using the Should I Answer iOS app for a few months now and I’m pretty satisfied with its results. Recommended!
Download on Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mistergroup.shouldianswer
Download on iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/should-i-answer/id1199812713
Call Control: Free SMS/Call Blocker
This award-winning spam call blocker will help you limit the number of calls or messages that you get from unknown callers. The best call blocker app for iPhone/Android has a crowd-sourced database of spam callers that keeps on expanding with time.
- The app is used by over 12 million people worldwide and can quickly identify telemarketers and spam callers.
- Besides calls, it can also block spammers from messaging you as well.
- You can also look up for numbers and know the registered user’s name.
- There is also a provision to create personalized lists to block any contact.
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Expanding database
- At times, it does not work on a real-time basis
- Works on a credit system (only basic features are free)
Price: Free | 5 look-up credits for $2.99
Compatibility: iOS 11.4+ | Android 5.0+
I’m trying to look up for a number on this app, but it is asking me to buy premium credits. Can’t I search for numbers for free?
The app works automatically and has blocked a few spam callers successfully. There is no technical hassle involved!
Hiya: Call Blocker and Fraud Detection
This is one of the best call blocker apps for Android and iOS devices that would also automatically reject spam calls. Additionally, there is a feature to protect users from fraud calls as well.
- The app has a database of more than 13 billion spam callers and it keeps expanding the database with time.
- You can also search for numbers via its reverse lookup and know their registered users.
- It will automatically notify you for spammers and would reject their calls too.
- You can create a personal blacklist to stop anyone from calling or texting you.
- Tons of advanced features
- Can also manage your contacts
- Smart reverse lookup option
- Limited features for the free version
- Expensive than other apps
Price: Free | $3.99 monthly for premium
Compatibility: iOS 11+ | Android 5.0+
Hiya has an excellent fraud detection feature that I like a lot. It has saved me from so many scam callers in the past!
While I like Hiya, it doesn’t let me look up for numbers for free. I would have to pay to use this premium feature that is available for free in other apps.
Download on Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.webascender.callerid&hl=en_US
Norton Mobile Security and Antivirus
Norton is already a popular name in the security domain and its call protect app certainly lives up to its expectations. Although, it has several security features, it can also help you protect from online spammers and frauds as well.
- You can enable the web to protect feature to make sure online scammers won’t be able to contact you.
- The app will keep your mobile protected from malware, virus, and other security threats.
- It will keep scanning your WiFi connection and would let you know of any danger on a real-time basis.
- It will suggest you the needed security patches and updates to protect your device.
- Device security features
- Live WiFi scanning
- Not available for free (only 14-day trial plan)
- Fewer features to block calls or messages
Price: $14.99 annually
Compatibility: iOS 11+ | Android 4.1+
User Reviews –
This is such a useful app and has helped me protect my device from security threats. I wish it had more features to automatically block calls from unknown numbers or create blacklists.
It is a nice app… I used its free trial, but I wish it had some free features too for call blocking, security, etc.
Download on Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.symantec.mobilesecurity
Download on iOS: https://apps.apple.com/app/norton-mobile-security/id1278474169
Part 3: mSpy – Best Call Log Tracker App
Apart from a free robocall blocker, users also wish to keep a log of calls made on someone else’s device. For instance, you might wish to know who is calling your kids, partner, or anyone else without letting them know. In this case, you can take the assistance of mSpy device tracker. It runs on leading Android and iOS devices with dedicated device tracking features that you can access remotely via its web-based dashboard.
- The tool would keep a track of all the incoming and outgoing calls with contact details and timestamps.
- You can also access all the sent and received messages of the user including the contact info.
- Since it has an inbuilt keylogger, you can also access their deleted messages, passwords, web searches, and more.
- It will give you access to their contacts, call logs, photos, videos, apps, social media details, and so much more.
- Since the mSpy app runs in a stealth mode, the targeted user won’t know that they are being tracked in the background.
The ball is in your court now! After getting to know about these options, you can easily pick the best call blocker app for your Android or iOS device. To make the job easier for you, I have also listed the pros and cons of each solution as well. Besides that, you can also take the assistance of a device tracker like mSpy to get the call log of any user. Feel free to try these best spam call blocker apps and let us know about your experience of using them in the comments below.